Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My project

I am finally caught up to the present day with my HMFB podcast so I was looking around, briefly, for a new podcast and I was unable, in three or four minutes, to find anything interesting.  I figured I have a health podcast, a sports podcast and a trivia podcast.  I thought I should listen to a financial type podcast and I could not find anything that was interesting.  As I may have mentioned, I didn't spend a lot of time looking, but I have advice for anyone who is interested, including me, in making a podcast that might be interesting to others.
1.  No podcast should ever go over 15 minutes.  As I have said before (and I can credit Glenn Beck for this line of thinking) if a movie director can't tell his story in less than two hours, the director isn't powerful enough.  If you can't cut out the fluff, your podcast needs help.  Case in point, HMFB is constantly catching us up on their lives, their feelings, their most recent meals, their religious views, their toothpaste brand, the sharpness of their razors and their political views.  Nobody cares.  I repeat, nobody cares.  Give us our weekly dose of health info and get out.
2.  Be educational while providing your opinion, or at least being funny.  I like when the HMFB folks take a pertinent article and share their opinions and make comments on the subject.  The education piece adds value, and that makes the podcast interesting. 
I guess that is all I've got.  Two little things that could improve HMFB.  I have often thought that it would be fun to make a podcast.  I don't know what the subject would be, or how I could even fill 15 minutes in one podcast.  It just seems fun.   So, my project is to find a podcast that is brief, educational and interesting.  I am going to try to use podcasts to become knowledgeable and more educated.  I will report back.

No comments:

Post a Comment