Monday, December 2, 2013

Hurry up and Fast

I have no problem fasting. For some abstaining from food and drink or perhaps just food can be difficult. I routinely skip lunch and I don't even notice. When I take the opportunity to fast for two meals at the beginning of each month, I am somewhat hungry, but not uncomfortable. I consider myself lucky in that regard. However, it got me thinking about fasting and the reasons and the blessings and what the scriptures say etc. I decided this would be a good thing to investigate myself.

What do the scriptures say?
I was feeling weak at the beginning of a fast recently so I decided to see if I truly needed to abstain from water. Not because I have a particular hard time abstaining from water, but if it is unnecessary, perhaps I could reap some physical benefits. None of the prophets had a sermon recorded specifically on how to fast so, as always, we have to go by their examples. Moses fasted 40 days wherein "he did neither eat bread, nor drink water." I will assume the lord quickened him as he was in his presence. (Exodus 34:28) When Queen Ester had to go plead before the king on behalf of the house of Israel, she asked the Jews to fast for her and "neither eat nor drink three days." (Esther 4:16) I have never done a three day fast, but the result was very positive so obviously it worked. I would imagine that those who participated suffered considerably. Other that those two examples, the only thing ever mentioned is that fasting took place. Even the gospels only mention Christ's abstinence from food...though he was in the desert.

What does science say?
There have been many studies regarding fasting for health. What it seems to boil down to is fasting is very good for you. The following articles are all pretty positive about fasting:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=how-intermittent-fasting-might-help-you-live-longer-healthier-life

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/the-benefits-of-occasional-fasting-20121116

http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/sns-green-effective-fasting-benfits,0,2843882.story

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting/#axzz2mNubBHuu

A commenter in the first article did point out that there are major physiological differences between men and women and perhaps more gender specific studies are needed. I would agree with that. My wife seems to struggle with the occasional religious fast and for all her complaints about being pregnant or nursing, she likes that she does not have to fast.

My recent experiences
As I said, I recently fasted for religious reasons. I went without food and water. I had snacks and dessert somewhat late into previous evening then I skipped breakfast and lunch. We ate dinner at about 5:30 that evening so I went without food and water for about 19 hours. I always get thirsty. It is the worst in the morning. When I wake up I have major cotton mouth. I have also learned not to brush my teeth. Somehow when I brush my teeth while I am fasting, my breath is worse. Between 2:00 and 3:00 my stomach started to grumble some but I didn't feel that hungry. After a few minutes of that, it subsided and then I didn't feel hungry. Even while I cooked turkey chili, I never felt uncomfortable.

Today I fasted lunch but I was drinking plenty of water. I ate 2 Costco sausages and 2 eggs for breakfast and then I didn't eat again until I had some mixed nuts while Sarah was finishing dinner. I don't remember feeling hungry prior to getting home and then I felt very hungry. I was hungrier at the end of the lunch-only food fast than I did yesterday while doing a food and water fast. I think I will experiment more prior to settling on the possible reasons.

My hypothesis
I am not a very good writer. As I read articles and blogs they have a certain flow to them. Mine do not. Yet. I think I will figure this out as I continue to blog. Nevertheless, here is what I believe. What is a blog if not an arena to express my beliefs? Fasting is very healthy physically. Fasting is tremendously healthy for spirituality. Fasting without giving to the poor and the needy is just a diet. I have heard that fasting without prayer is a diet, but the donating to the poor is even more crucial. Spiritual fasting should exclude water. Fasting for physical reasons can go either way. Next month I am going to fast a full 24 hours. I will continue 'fasting' lunch regularly while drinking a lot of water. Finally from the Gospel of Matthew, chapter 17:

15 Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatic, and sore vexed: for oft times he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water. 16 And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him. 17 Then Jesus answered and said...bring him hither to me. 18 And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour. 19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?... 21 ...this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.    


No comments:

Post a Comment